Saturday, January 18, 2014

Preschool and Sleep


Violet* turned a corner a few months back.  She was taking a long time to get down to sleep which I attribute in part to not nursing her to sleep any more.  I would sit with her for an hour or more before I could get away.  But what I got in return it seems was full nights of sleep.  FULL NIGHTS.  I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to be tired.  I mean, haven't-slept-all-night-and-taken-care-of-a-toddler-all-day tired.  Now it's just the toddler-tired part.  THAT is doable!  

But I was getting frustrated with the long bedtime "routine" of sitting with her until she was totally asleep.  I know, I know.  Seasoned moms and dads will scoff.  That's just where we were at.  So I changed it up.  Did the usual stuff (pajamas, stories, warm milk with mom and sometimes dad too) but then I rocked her for a bit in the chair, put her in bed and kissed her goodnight. We also got a little nightlight turtle that projects stars on the ceiling which I think was a good transition-helper. It took several tries. Still does. But it works. It works! She can and does fall asleep on her own. After some (many) reassurances that I won't go anywhere. "You won't go to exercise so you can be healthy?"  Oh lordie. That's a tough one to agree to but no, honey, I won't go exercise. I don't exercise at night anyways but that one seems so defeating to agree to!

So, we were in a great place for sleep. And then preschool hit! She has been so excited about preschool. We've had these meltingly adorable moments of her walking up to other kids, leaning over and cocking her head to the side so she's right in their face and saying, "You know I'm going to go to preschool?  Like a big kid?" Wonderful! And then the night before her first day it began. Waking up at 1 and 2 and 3.  A.M. that is. I spent at least the first half of her life awake at those hours. Sometimes I still wake up at those hours weather or not she does. I've been trained and I suppose it's training that will stick. I am confident this was excitement about preschool because she's still happy to go and was even sad when I told her she would not have preschool on Friday. I told her that on Thursday evening. And you know what? She slept all night. And every other night before non-preschool days. Ha! Not often do I feel like I actually understand something that's going on in my kid with regards to sleep but this one, I think I got.  

Even though she's been dog-tired she's been a trouper at school. We had a few days of clingy and one day of tears but it seems as though things are evening out. And this new routine of school and a few hours to myself and then the excitement of picking her up again is lovely.  Life is shifting once again.  Will have to reflect more on that later...  



*I realized I switched from writing this to Violet to writing this about Violet.  And I sometimes switch mid-post.  I'm not sure where this will land but for now I'm going to stick to writing this about Violet... and about me and Matt and our lives.  It's a record.  It's not a letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment